January 1, 2013

A Vague Review of The Year That Was


Come out and celebrate your life, exactly who you are, amidst people who matter and people who don't.

Well, I surprisingly am calm this last night of the year 2012. No excitement, anxiety, and gloom at all. I've finally come into terms with my end-of-the-year depression. The highlight of which was when I was about to welcome 2006. I cried my eyes out because I had to say goodbye to the great music year I've had in 2005. That was the year I discovered and followed the lovely Ms. Kelly Clarkson, became an avid fan of 99.5 RT, went to my first (and still only) rock concert care of Good Charlotte, and gained 40 pounds because of destructive Internet surfing habits. That year was just full of highs and lows. I was six years younger and I was really stupid in terms of making decisions.

Now, here I am, knowing exactly what I want my 2013 to be. 2012 was such a level up. I finally wore a cap representing my Bachelor's Degree, got a job (and resigned), and experienced independence. There were uncomfortable detours and it has been such a roller coaster ride, but I can say to myself that I am happy with who I am right now, minus 20 pounds. Read on to know the life lessons I have learned in Perth [insert wink here]:

You don't have to suffer, but you don't have to be heartless. Find ways, sleek and clean ones. Do not just accept defeat, do not just experience hardships. Learn to maneuver and get yourself OUT of discomforts. Be wise enough to know the cruelties of life and acknowledge that you have no choice but to live it anyway. It is not easy, but it doesn't mean it can't be good. You cannot depend on anyone if you can't establish a firm voice inside your head that is totally yours.

Know who you want to be and be it. Life is too short, so make no excuses. Do not compromise because most of the time, you only get one shot. An old friend once told me, "believe it and it will happen." Well, of course do something after believing it. Right?

Treasure the present. Don't let fear or arrogance take away the opportunity of making memories that count. Every teardrop is worth the trade if you can create memories you can treasure forever. People come and go, and you are one of them. Take time to appreciate friends you make and remember the ones you've lost because circumstances took the connection (literally and figuratively) away. Do not be a coward, give it a shot!

Cheers to 2013!

0 comments: